Shakshuka with broad beans and labneh
- May 2017
- Serves 4
- Hands-on time 50 min, simmering time 1 hour 25 min
In every part of the world you can find a breakfast based on eggs and tomatoes. Naomi Devlin adds broad beans and artichokes to her shakshuka, but you can try French beans, steamed kale, chard or fresh peas.
- Vegetarian recipes
- 13.7g (3.5g saturated)
- 10.4g (7.9g sugars)
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- Pinch chilli flakes
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 large red onions, roughly chopped
- 2 x 400g tins chopped tomatoes
- 500g broad beans, skinned
- 4 large free-range eggs
- 150g artichoke hearts in oil, drained and sliced
- Large handful fresh flatleaf parsley, roughly chopped
- 180g labneh or thick greek yogurt (we used Total full-fat greek yogurt)
- Wholemeal flatbreads to serve
- For the tomato sauce, put the oil, cumin seeds, chilli flakes and bay leaves in a frying pan with a lid over a low heat and cook gently for a few minutes. Add the onions and a pinch of sea salt, then cook gently for at least 15 minutes until the onions are soft and pale pink. Add the tomatoes, put the lid on the pan and leave to simmer gently for about an hour, stirring occasionally. Add a little water if the sauce gets too thick. Discard the bay leaves.
- When the sauce is almost done, steam the broad beans for 3-4 minutes until just tender, then refresh in cold water and set aside.
- Make 4 indentations in the tomato sauce and crack an egg into each. Simmer gently, uncovered, for 5-10 minutes until the whites start to turn opaque, then cover and simmer for a few more minutes until the whites are cooked through but the yolks are still runny.
- Serve each person an egg and its sauce, scattered with broad beans, artichoke hearts and parsley. Dot each plate with labneh or yogurt and serve with flatbread.
Recipe is from Naomi Devlin’s cookbook Food for a Happy Gut (£20, Headline).
If you make the tomato sauce in advance, this dish can be on the table in 10 minutes.
Labneh is a thick, strained yogurt available from Tesco and Middle Eastern grocers.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Baked eggs and peppers
Based on North African dish shakshuka, this is a feel good breakfast recipe that’s comforting...