Simple coq au vin
- April 2015
- Serves 4
- Hands-on time 20 min, simmering time 1 hour
A fuss-free leave-it-on-the-hob casserole recipe made with chicken, red wine, mushrooms and thyme.
- 10.2g (1.9g saturated)
- 5.9g (4.1g sugars)
- 2 tbsp sunflower oil
- 2 onions, finely sliced
- 1 tbsp tomato purée
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 4 fresh thyme sprigs, plus extra leaves to garnish
- 200g button mushrooms
- 8 British free-range chicken thighs (bone-in), skin removed
- 400ml red wine
- 500ml fresh chicken stock
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- Chopped fresh parsley, mashed potato and steamed peas
- Heat the sunflower oil in a large flameproof casserole. Add the onions and fry over a medium heat for 10 minutes (see tips). Add the tomato purée and cook for 30 seconds, stirring. Add the garlic, thyme, mushrooms and chicken and cook for 5-6 minutes (see tips).
- Pour in the wine, stock and Worcestershire sauce and simmer (uncovered) for 40 minutes or until the chicken is tender, stirring occasionally. Taste, then season with salt and black pepper.
- Garnish with thyme and parsley, then serve with mash and peas.
Soften the onions before adding the chicken – careful cooking brings out the onions’ natural sweetness and adds much more flavour to the casserole.
Don’t let the garlic burn. When it’s burnt it tastes bitter, which will taint the dish. Turn the heat down when you add it to the casserole and stir often.
Season the meat before adding it to the casserole It makes a huge difference to the flavour of the finished dish.
The casserole is better after time in the fridge. Cool, then chill in a sealed container for up to 3 days. Or freeze for up to 3 months in a sealed box, defrost and reheat until piping hot.
You can vary the alcohol in the casserole. It’s great with dry cider or a light beer – though in both cases you may need to add a pinch of sugar at the end. This recipe is also good with smoked lardons: fry them with the chicken in step 1.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Chicken casserole recipes
Healthier chicken casserole with tarragon dumplings
The tarragon dumplings which top this easy chicken casserole are made with yogurt, instead of...