Simple tartare sauce
- June 2010
- 1 large free-range egg yolk
- ½ tsp English mustard powder
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 150ml olive oil
- 1 tbsp rinsed, chopped capers
- 1 tbsp rinsed, finely diced gherkins
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh parsley leaves
- 1 large shallot, finely chopped
- Place the egg yolk in the small bowl of a food processor with the mustard powder, half the lemon juice and some seasoning.
- Pulse to mix, then add the oil really slowly, drop by drop at first, until the mixture begins to emulsify and you have a lovely thick mayonnaise.
- Add the remaining lemon juice and taste to see if it needs more seasoning.
- Scrape into a bowl and stir through the chopped capers, gherkins, parsley and shallot. Taste again and add more of any of the flavourings if you need to.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Scampi with chips and tartare sauce
This recipe for scampi with tartare sauce is delicious, pair it with our par-boiled oven...
More food for thought...
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...