Lemon sole with lemon butter and peas
- August 2010
- Serves 4
- Takes 15 min to make, 10 min to cook
Lemon sole is often an underused fish but this healthier take on fish, chips and peas is a delight worth tasting.
- 30.7g (15.8g saturated)
- 15.4g (3.5g sugar)
- 1½ tbsp olive oil
- 4 lemon sole fillets, pin-boned (use tweezers to do this)
- Plain flour, seasoned, to dust
- 100g butter, plus a knob for the peas
- Grated zest and juice of 1 lemon, plus extra wedges to serve
- Handful of fresh flatleaf parsley, finely chopped
- 400g fresh podded or frozen peas
- Small bunch of fresh mint, leaves chopped
- Heat the oil in a large sauté pan over a medium heat. Dust the sole in the seasoned flour, then add to the hot pan, skin-side down. Fry for 2 minutes, then turn over and cook for 1-2 minutes more. Remove from the pan to serving plates and keep warm.
- Reduce the heat, add the 100g butter to the pan and melt. Stir through the lemon zest and juice, and the parsley. Season well, then spoon the butter over the sole fillets.
- Meanwhile, cook the peas in a pan of boiling water for 2 minutes. Drain and place in a bowl with the mint, a knob of butter and lots of seasoning. Lightly crush with the back of a fork. Serve alongside the fish with extra lemon wedges to squeeze over and new potatoes, if you like.
If you have leftovers from the sole dish, turn them into fishcakes. Mash the potatoes and peas, then mix with the cooked fish and bind with beaten egg. With floury hands, make patties. Fry on each side until golden, then serve with the parsley lemon butter.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Deep-fried lemon sole with green mayonnaise
Try this quick and easy deep-fried sole recipe. The mayonnaise is green because it’s flavoured...
Dinner ideas for two
Pan-fried dover sole with caper, lemon and parsley butter sauce
Debbie Major’s simple dover sole recipe is perfect for a romantic meal for two.
More food for thought...
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...