Deep-fried lemon sole with green mayonnaise
- September 2006
- Sunflower oil, for deep-frying
- 50g plain flour
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 100g fresh ciabatta breadcrumbs
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 12 x 65g skinned lemon sole fillets
- Lemon wedges, to serve
For the green mayonnaise
- 15g mixed fresh flatleaf parsley, tarragon and basil leaves
- 15g watercress leaves
- 15g baby spinach leaves
- 6 tbsp good-quality mayonnaise
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- Make the green mayonnaise. Drop the herbs, watercress and spinach into a pan of boiling water, cook for 1 minute, then drain and refresh under cold water. Squeeze out the excess water, put into a mini food processor and whizz to a smooth paste. Add the mayonnaise and lemon juice and briefly whizz again until smooth. Transfer to a bowl, season and chill until needed.
- Heat a deep-fat fryer or some sunower oil in a large, deep saucepan to 190°C. (When ready, a cube of bread added to the hot oil should brown in 30 seconds.)
- Lightly season the flour and put onto a plate. Pour the beaten eggs into a shallow dish. Mix the breadcrumbs with the cayenne and a pinch of salt in another shallow dish.
- Season the lemon sole fillets lightly on both sides, then dip, 1 at a time, in the flour, beaten egg and breadcrumbs to coat. Deep-fry, 2 pieces at a time, for 2 minutes, until crisp and golden. Drain on kitchen paper and keep warm while you cook the remainder. Serve hot with the green mayonnaise and lemon wedges.
Rate & review