Deep-fried lemon sole with green mayonnaise
- September 2006
- Sunflower oil, for deep-frying
- 50g plain flour
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 100g fresh ciabatta breadcrumbs
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 12 x 65g skinned lemon sole fillets
- Lemon wedges, to serve
For the green mayonnaise
- 15g mixed fresh flatleaf parsley, tarragon and basil leaves
- 15g watercress leaves
- 15g baby spinach leaves
- 6 tbsp good-quality mayonnaise
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- Make the green mayonnaise. Drop the herbs, watercress and spinach into a pan of boiling water, cook for 1 minute, then drain and refresh under cold water. Squeeze out the excess water, put into a mini food processor and whizz to a smooth paste. Add the mayonnaise and lemon juice and briefly whizz again until smooth. Transfer to a bowl, season and chill until needed.
- Heat a deep-fat fryer or some sunower oil in a large, deep saucepan to 190°C. (When ready, a cube of bread added to the hot oil should brown in 30 seconds.)
- Lightly season the flour and put onto a plate. Pour the beaten eggs into a shallow dish. Mix the breadcrumbs with the cayenne and a pinch of salt in another shallow dish.
- Season the lemon sole fillets lightly on both sides, then dip, 1 at a time, in the flour, beaten egg and breadcrumbs to coat. Deep-fry, 2 pieces at a time, for 2 minutes, until crisp and golden. Drain on kitchen paper and keep warm while you cook the remainder. Serve hot with the green mayonnaise and lemon wedges.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
More food for thought...
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...