Grilled mackerel with orange and basil-dressed pepper salad
- August 2015
- Serves 4
- Hands-on time 30 min
Omega 3-rich fresh mackerel pairs perfectly with zingy orange and sweet peppers in this 20-minute salad, that’s easy on your pocket too.
Mackerel is a wonderfully versatile and inexpensive ingredient; find out more ways to use this oily fish.
- Dairy-free recipes
- 42.8g (7.1g saturated)
- 32.8g protein
- 22.2g (21.6g sugars)
- 3 peppers (mix of yellow and red)
- 8 mackerel fillets
- 3 oranges
- Small bunch of fresh parsley
- 10g rocket
- 40g toasted pine nuts
- Olive oil
- Bunch of fresh basil
- Heat the grill to medium. Deseed the peppers, then slice into strips. Pin-bone the mackerel fillets. Put the peppers and mackerel on a grill pan, skin-side up, and brush with olive oil. Grill for 10-13 minutes until the fish is cooked through, then remove the fish. Grill the peppers for 3-5 minutes more until charred.
- Meanwhile, zest the oranges into a bowl. Peel and segment the oranges, reserve 6 segments, then add the rest and any juice to the bowl. Chop the parsley and add to the bowl with rocket, toasted pine nuts, 1 tbsp olive oil and the peppers.
- Make the basil dressing by whizzing the reserved orange segments in a mini food processor with a the basil, 3 tbsp olive oil and salt and pepper.
- Divide the salad among plates, top with the mackerel and drizzle with the dressing. Serve with crusty bread.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Grilled mackerel with green bean, olive and tomato pesto salad
Enjoy a fuss free light supper with this grilled mackerel and Italian salad recipe.
Grilled mackerel, grapefruit and pesto freekeh salad
The combination of crispy grilled mackerel, sharp grapefruit and the nutty flavour of freekeh, all...