Pan-fried lemon sole with caper sauce and lentils
- June 2015
- Serves 4
- Hands-on time 25 min
This lemon sole recipe is elegant enough to serve at your next dinner party but quick enough to be a midweek meal.
- 9.7g (1.3g saturated)
- 41.8g (2.3g sugars)
- 250g puy lentils
- 250g spinach
- 4 lemon sole fillets (or other flat white fish), skin-on
- 4 tbsp seasoned plain flour
- Extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp capers in brine
- Juice 2 lemons
- Handful fresh flatleaf parsley
- Cook the lentils in a pan according to the packet instructions. Boil a kettle of water. Put the spinach in a colander and pour over the boiled water to wilt.
- Dust the fish with the flour, shaking off the excess. Around 6-7 minutes before the lentils are ready, heat a generous glug of the oil in a large frying pan. When hot, cook the fish skin-side up for 1 minute or until golden. Carefully turn and cook on the other side for 2 minutes.
- Drain and rinse the capers, then add to the fish with the lemon juice and 50ml water. Cook for 1-2 minutes to warm through. Roughly chop the parsley and scatter over, then set the pan aside.
- Drain the lentils, then return to the pan and toss the spinach through. Season. Divide the lentils among 4 plates or shallow bowls, then top each with a fillet of fish, spooning over the capers and juices from the pan.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Deep-fried lemon sole with green mayonnaise
Try this quick and easy deep-fried sole recipe. The mayonnaise is green because it’s flavoured...
Chef recipes from restaurants
Rick Stein’s lemon sole with serrano ham and summer vegetables
Rick Stein’s elegant lemon sole recipe is packed with summery flavours. Serve with crisp serrano...
More food for thought...
May seasonal recipes
Seasonal produce in May promises an abundance of...
July seasonal recipes
Summer is in full swing and luckily for...
Fish traybake recipes
A fish traybake makes for a fast, easy...
Monkfish is a firm, meaty fish with a...
Healthy fish recipes
Our healthy fish recipes are inspired by dishes...
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...