Spiced courgettes with curried yogurt
- August 2014
- Serves 4
- 45 minutes
Vivek Singh’s spiced courgette recipe, served with curried yogurt, is a perfect vegetarian option to cook on the barbecue. You’ll get those lovely ‘griddled’ lines, too.
- Vegetarian recipes
- 12.6g (3.8g saturated)
- 4.9g (4.5g sugars)
- 6-7 courgettes, thinly sliced lengthways
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil, plus extra
- 1 tsp sea salt flakes
- 1 tsp black onion seeds (also known as nigella or kalonji seeds)
- 1 tsp fennel seeds
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh coriander
- Juice ½ lemon
For the spice mix
- 1 tsp fennel seeds
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp coriander seeds
- ½ tsp chilli flakes
- ½ tsp black peppercorns
For the curried yogurt
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- ½ tsp mustard seeds
- 4 fresh curry leaves
- ½ tsp ground turmeric
- 1 tsp sugar
- ½ tsp salt
- 250g Greek yogurt
- 2.5cm piece fresh ginger, finely chopped
- 1 green chilli, finely chopped
- For the spice mix, toast the spices in a dry pan for 30-60 seconds until fragrant (take care not to burn them). Remove from the heat, allow to cool, then pound in a pestle and mortar to a coarse mixture. Store in an airtight container. It will keep for up to 1 month – scatter it over grilled meat and veg to add texture and flavour.
- For the yogurt, heat the oil in a pan and add the mustard seeds and curry leaves. When they start to crackle, quickly add the ground turmeric, sugar and salt. Add this to the yogurt along with the ginger and chilli, then mix well. Adjust the seasoning to taste and set aside.
- Sprinkle the courgette slices with the oil, salt, black onion seeds and fennel seeds. Cook on a hot barbecue for about 1 minute on each side until just tender. Remove to a large plate. Drizzle with more oil and sprinkle over a little of the spice mix.
- Scatter over the coriander and sprinkle with the lemon juice. Serve with the yogurt on the side.
No barbecue? You don’t have to cook this on a barbie – fry the courgettes in a large pan with a knob of butter until golden and crisp, then add the spice mix to coat.
Make the curried yogurt and the spice mix the day before. Keep chilled.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Trofie pasta with green beans and new potatoes
This pasta recipe uses trofie pasta, which, like basil pesto, comes from Liguria. It’s available...