Spiced lamb with chickpeas
- July 2005
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 650g lamb neck fillets, trimmed of excess fat and cut into cubes (or use lamb leg steaks)
- 2 small red onions, sliced
- 1½tsp ground cumin
- 1½ tsp ground coriander
- 2 x 410g cans chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 300ml fresh vegetable stock, hot
- Small handful of fresh mint leaves, chopped, plus few extra to garnish
- Heat the oil in a casserole or large, deep saucepan with a lid over a high heat. When hot, add half the lamb and cook for 3-4 minutes, until browned all over. Remove with a slotted spoon and set aside. Brown the rest of the lamb in the pan, then remove and set aside.
- Reduce the heat to medium. Add the onions to the pan and cook, stirring, for 5 minutes, until softened. Stir in the spices and cook for 1 minute. Add the chickpeas, lemon juice and stock, plus the lamb and any lamb juices. Mix, cover and bring to the boil, then reduce to a simmer, covered, for 15 minutes.
- Uncover the casserole and simmer for a further 5 minutes to reduce the sauce slightly. Stir in the mint and season to taste. Divide between 4 shallow bowls and garnish with a few mint leaves.
Don’t be afraid to try this on your children, the spices are quite mellow. Serve with couscous or crusty bread to mop up the sauce.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
More food for thought...
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...