Spiced lamb with chickpeas
- July 2005
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 650g lamb neck fillets, trimmed of excess fat and cut into cubes (or use lamb leg steaks)
- 2 small red onions, sliced
- 1½tsp ground cumin
- 1½ tsp ground coriander
- 2 x 410g cans chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 300ml fresh vegetable stock, hot
- Small handful of fresh mint leaves, chopped, plus few extra to garnish
- Heat the oil in a casserole or large, deep saucepan with a lid over a high heat. When hot, add half the lamb and cook for 3-4 minutes, until browned all over. Remove with a slotted spoon and set aside. Brown the rest of the lamb in the pan, then remove and set aside.
- Reduce the heat to medium. Add the onions to the pan and cook, stirring, for 5 minutes, until softened. Stir in the spices and cook for 1 minute. Add the chickpeas, lemon juice and stock, plus the lamb and any lamb juices. Mix, cover and bring to the boil, then reduce to a simmer, covered, for 15 minutes.
- Uncover the casserole and simmer for a further 5 minutes to reduce the sauce slightly. Stir in the mint and season to taste. Divide between 4 shallow bowls and garnish with a few mint leaves.
Don’t be afraid to try this on your children, the spices are quite mellow. Serve with couscous or crusty bread to mop up the sauce.
Rate & review