Spiced meatball curry
- September 2008
- Serves 4
- Ready in about 1 hour
If you can’t finish this tasty low-calorie curry, you don’t need to waste the leftovers: any remains can be frozen for up to 3 months.
- 17.3g (5.4g saturated)
- 12.7g (9.3g sugars)
- 450g beef mince
- 1 small onion, roughly grated
- 2.5cm piece fresh ginger, grated
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp ground coriander
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- 1-1½ tsp cayenne pepper
- Bunch of fresh coriander, chopped (reserve a few leaves, to garnish)
For the sauce
- 1 tbsp sunflower oil
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp tikka masala curry paste
- 6 large tomatoes, chopped
- 300ml vegetable stock
- Put the beef, onion, ginger, garlic, spices and fresh coriander in a large bowl and mix together well. With clean, wet hands, form the mixture into about 30 balls and chill for 30 minutes while you prepare the sauce.
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan and fry the onions for 8 minutes, until soft and golden. Add the curry paste and fry for a minute, then stir in the tomatoes and stock. Simmer for 15 minutes, until it begins to thicken.
- Sit the meatballs on the sauce and simmer for 25-30 minutes, turning occasionally, until cooked. Scatter with extra coriander and serve with naans.
Freeze the cooled curry in a plastic container for up to 3 months. Defrost before reheating until piping hot. You could also freeze the raw meatballs, then defrost thoroughly and finish the recipe.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Quick midweek meals
Meatballs in spinach and tomato sauce with herby couscous
Make weekday cooking easier with this hearty meatball recipe made...
Subscribe to our magazine
Food lovers, treat yourself this Christmas... Enjoy 12 months of magazines for £29.99 – just £2.50 an issue.Subscribe
Unleash your inner chef
Looking for inspiration? Receive the latest recipes with our newsletter