Spicy sausage meatballs in tomato sauce with herb rice
- July 2014
- 6 free-range pork sausages
- 1 tbsp olive oil, plus 2 extra splashes
- 1 onion
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 2 x 400g cans chopped tomatoes
- Splash red wine vinegar
- 300g basmati rice
- Handful fresh coriander, leaves picked
- Handful fresh parsley, leaves picked
- Remove the skins from the sausages (discard the skins), then break each sausage into thirds. Heat 1 tbsp oil in a sauté pan and, when hot, add the sausages. Brown all over, then remove and set aside. Chop the onion, crush the garlic, then add to the pan with the paprika and a splash more oil. Reduce the heat and fry gently for 5-6 minutes until the onion has softened.
- Add the chopped tomatoes and red wine vinegar and bring to a gentle simmer. Return the sausages to the pan and cook, stirring frequently, until the sauce reduces and thickens. Taste and adjust the seasoning.
- Meanwhile cook the rice. Put it in a pan and fill with cold water to just over 1cm above the top of the rice. Add some salt and put over a high heat until boiling. Simmer the rice for 1 minute, then turn the heat to low. Cover the pan and cook for 15-20 minutes until tender.
- Stir the herbs into the rice along with some seasoning. To serve, add another splash of oil to the sausage pan, then divide the sausages and rice among 4 plates.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Meatballs with creamy polenta
Super comforting and easy to prepare, meatballs and creamy polenta are a great family meal....
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...