Mulled pear cider
- December 2016
- Serves 10-12
- Hands-on time 15 min, simmering time 1 hour
Move over mulled wine, there’s a new Christmas drink in town. Serve this warm spiced cider at your festive parties.
- 0.1g (no saturated)
- 23.1g (23.1g sugars)
- no fibre
- no salt
- 2 litres pear cider (also known as perry)
- 6 clementines
- 500ml pomegranate juice
- 400ml dark rum, plus an extra splash
- 120g caster sugar
- 3 star anise
- 1 tbsp whole cloves
- 1 large cinnamon stick
- Pour the pear cider into a very large heavy-based pan with a lid. Squeeze the juice from the clementines, then add to the pan along with the squeezed peel. Add the rest of the ingredients, then bring up to a gentle steam.
- Cook on a very low heat for 40 minutes, then add a splash of rum. Cover with a lid, leaving a gap to let the steam out, and keep on the heat on the lowest setting while serving.
This would also work with a dryish apple cider. If you want to make sure no one accidentally swallows a clove, gather up the spices in a square of muslin and tie with string.
This will sit over a gentle heat on the hob for a few hours. After 2 hours, remove the muslin bag with the spices as they can turn bitter.
Alternatively, cool the mulled cider, without the spices, and chill for up to 48 hours before reheating.
Rate & review