Spicy sausage and lentil casserole
- October 2018
- Serves 4
- Hands-on time 20 min, simmering time 50 min
This is an easy recipe that packs in bags of flavour. You’ll be coming back to it again and again.
For best results, use the highest quality sausages you can find.
- 25.3g (8.7g saturated)
- 33.5g (10g sugars)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 8 Italian-style pork sausages (at least 70 per cent meat content)
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 large carrot (about 200g), diced
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 tsp chilli flakes
- 2 tsp ground cumin seeds
- 2 tsp paprika
- 1 tbsp tomato purée
- 100g red lentils
- 600ml good quality chicken stock
- 200g chopped tomatoes
- 150g cooked or canned puy lentils, rinsed and drained
- 3 tbsp chopped fresh flatleaf parsley
- Heat the oil in a large flameproof casserole (with a lid) over a medium-high heat, add the sausages and brown all over. Transfer to a plate, leaving the oil in the casserole.
- Add the onion, carrot, garlic and chilli flakes to the casserole, cover and cook gently for 10 minutes until softened and lightly golden.
- Take off the lid and stir in the cumin, paprika and tomato purée, then cook for 1 minute. Stir in the red lentils, chicken stock, chopped tomatoes and sausages and bring to a simmer, stirring to stop the lentils sticking to the base of the casserole.
- Cover and simmer for 40 minutes until the sausages are tender, the lentils are cooked and the sauce is thick. If the sauce looks watery, cook for 10 minutes with the lid off to thicken it. Stir in the puy lentils and most of the parsley and season to taste with salt and pepper. Scatter over the remaining parsley and serve with garlic bread, couscous or rice.
Add a squeeze of lemon juice and some baby leaf spinach to add more bite.
Cool, then chill for up to 3 days in a sealed container or food bag. Freeze in 4 foil containers (or one large one) and cook from frozen in a medium oven for at least one hour until piping hot.
Rate & review
Subscribe to our magazine
Food lovers, treat yourself this Christmas... Enjoy 12 months of magazines for £29.99 – just £2.50 an issue.Subscribe
Unleash your inner chef
Looking for inspiration? Receive the latest recipes with our newsletter