Quick sausage casserole
- March 2008
- Serves 4
- Ready in 1 hour
A hearty sausage casserole recipe made with onion, garlic, potatoes and a splash of Worcestershire sauce – it’s an easy idea for a midweek meal.
- 37.4g (15g saturated)
- 36.6g (8.4g sugar)
- 50g butter
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 1 tbsp demerara sugar
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 tbsp tomato purée
- 450ml beef stock or chicken stock, hot (we like Knorr)
- Splash of Worcestershire sauce
- 2 large potatoes, cut into 2cm cubes
- 8 good-quality sausages (any kind), grilled
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh flatleaf parsley
- Greens, to serve
- Heat the butter in a large, deep saucepan over a low heat. Add the sliced onion and fry gently for about 20 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the onion is soft and beginning to caramelise.
- Add the sugar to the pan, increase the heat to medium-high and cook, stirring occasionally, for another 3 minutes, until the onions are fully caramelised.
- Reduce the heat to low again, add the garlic and tomato purée to the pan and cook for another 5 minutes. Add the stock and Worcestershire sauce, bring to the boil, and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add the potatoes and cook for 15 minutes, until soft. Add the cooked sausages and continue to cook for about 5 minutes, until the sausages are piping hot throughout.
- Sprinkle with parsley and serve with greens.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Cumberland sausage ring with scorched tomato relish
No meat-eater can resist Cumberland sausages, especially with a barbecued tomato sauce.
Cumberland sausage with hot potato salad
Debbie Major’s Cumberland sausage with hot potato salad is simple yet full of flavour with...