Sherry braised chorizo sausages with smashed lemon & garlic chickpeas
- May 2018
- Serves 8
- Hands-on time 30 min, oven time 40-45 min
Chorizo sausage and peppers are cooked in sherry and brown sugar until caramelised, then served on a bed of lemony crushed chickpeas. This makes a tasty starter, especially when served with warm flatbreads.
Do more with chorizo: have a go at chorizo and watercress muffins.
- Dairy-free recipes
- 26g (7.2g saturated)
- 18.3g (6.2g sugars)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 x 190g packs cooking chorizo sausages
- 2 large roasted red peppers from a jar, sliced
- 200ml amontillado sherry
- 2 tbsp light brown soft sugar
- Chopped fresh parsley to serve
For the chickpeas
- 6 garlic cloves, peeled
- 6 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 x 400g tins chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- Grated zest and juice 1½ lemon
- Sea salt flakes
- Heat the oven to 160°C/140°C fan/gas 3. For the chickpeas, wrap the garlic cloves in foil and roast for 15-20 minutes until soft.
- Heat the 1 tbsp oil in an ovenproof frying pan over a medium-high heat and fry the sausages for 5-7 minutes, turning, until coloured. Add the peppers, cook for 5 minutes more, then add the sherry and brown sugar and stir to dissolve. Bubble for 1 minute, transfer to the oven and cook for 25 minutes.
- Heat 3 tbsp of the extra-virgin olive oil in a pan over a medium heat. Add the chickpeas and cook for 2-3 minutes, then pour in 200ml water and bubble for 3-4 minutes. Mash the chickpeas roughly with the back of a fork, then stir in the remaining 3 tbsp oil. Mash in the roasted garlic, lemon zest and juice and lots of sea salt and black pepper to give a chunky, spoonable mash. Cool the chickpea mash and sausages to room temperature.
- Serve the chickpeas topped with the sausages and sherry sauce, sprinkled with parsley.
Cool, then store the cooked chorizo and chickpeas in separate airtight containers in the fridge (or in a cool-bag). Keep the parsley in a separate food bag. This dish is best served at room temperature.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Recipes using chickpeas
Chickpea and tomato soup with chorizo and green chilli
You can find most of the ingredients for this winter soup recipe in the storecupboard...