Sticky apple and gingerbread pecan loaf cake
- October 2011
- Serves 12
- 30 minutes to make, 50 minutes to cook
Warming spices of cinnamon and ginger pair perfectly with apples in this easy loaf recipe.
- 17.3g (8.1g saturated)
- 40.6g (26.1g sugars)
- 150g unsalted butter, plus extra to grease
- 150g soft dark brown sugar
- 150g golden syrup
- 200ml milk
- 250g plain flour
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1½ tsp baking powder
- 2 large free-range eggs, beaten
- 75g pecans, roughly chopped
- 3 pieces of stem ginger, chopped
- 2 crisp eating apples, such as braeburn, peeled, cored and chopped into chunks (245g peeled and cored) Mascarpone to serve (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/fan160°C/gas 4. Grease and line a 2 litre loaf tin. Melt the butter, sugar and syrup in a small saucepan. Once melted, stir through the milk and set aside to cool.
- Sift the flour with the dry spices and baking powder into a bowl. Make a well in the centre and pour in the cooled sugar mixture. With a wooden spoon, slowly incorporate the flour mixture using a circular motion. Fold through the beaten eggs, pecans, stem ginger and apples.
- Pour the mixture into the loaf tin and bake in the oven for 50 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the centre comes away clean. Cool for 5 minutes in the tin, then remove to a wire rack. Serve warm or cold in slices with mascarpone, if you like.
Wrap the gingerbread well in paper and cling film and keep in an airtight tin for up to 5 days. The flavour will improve over time.
Rate & review