Strawberries and cream French toast
- May/June 2020
- Serves 4
- Hands-on time 10 mins plus macerating
Decadence is on the menu with this incredible strawberries and cream French toast (aka pain perdu). We’ve macerated strawberries in elderflower cordial to serve with brioche French toast with cream and maple syrup.
Browse more delicious French toast recipes.
- 46.1g (27.9g saturated)
- 47.9g (26.2g sugars)
- 350g strawberries, hulled and quartered
- 2 tbsp elderflower cordial
- 80ml double cream
- 1 large free-range egg, beaten
- 1⁄2 tsp vanilla extract or essence
- 25g caster sugar
- 30g unsalted butter
- 4 thick slices brioche, halved (about 200g)
For the maple cream
- 150ml double cream
- 2 tsp maple syrup
- Icing sugar to dust
- Put the strawberries in a bowl with the elderflower cordial. Stir well, then set aside for at least 30 minutes to macerate, stirring occasionally.
- Heat the oven to 180°C/160°C fan/ gas 4. Make the maple cream: whip the 150ml double cream and maple syrup in a bowl until thickened, then chill until required.
- For the French toast, first put the 80ml cream, egg, vanilla and sugar in a bowl, then whisk lightly until combined to make a batter.
- Melt half the butter in a large non-stick frying pan over a medium heat. Dip half the brioche slices into the batter, gently shaking off the excess. Fry for 1 minute on each side or until crisp and golden. Keep warm in the oven while you cook the remaining brioche.
- Divide the French toast between warmed plates, top with maple cream and strawberries (and their juices), then dust with icing sugar.
Use an equal quantity of runny honey instead of maple syrup. If you can’t find brioche try this with regular bread but add an extra half tsp vanilla extract or essence to the egg mixture for sweetness.
Macerate the strawberries and whip the maple cream 1-2 hours ahead. Keep separately, chilled, until ready to serve.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Panettone french toast with maple syrup, mascarpone and walnuts
Use up leftover panettone to make this french toast with...
Subscribe to our magazine
Food lovers, treat yourself this Christmas... Enjoy 12 months of magazines for £29.99 – just £2.50 an issue.Subscribe
Unleash your inner chef
Looking for inspiration? Receive the latest recipes with our newsletter