Potato latkes with smoked salmon and horseradish crème fraîche
- May 2015
- Serves 4-6; Makes 12-16 Latkes
- Hands-on time 30 min
Crispy potato pancakes pair perfectly with creamy crème fraîche in this traditional Jewish dish.
- 23.8g (9.2g saturated)
- 31g (3.6g sugars)
For 6 servings
- 200g sustainable smoked salmon slices, torn
- Lemon wedges to serve
For the latkes
- 1kg rooster potatoes, peeled and coarsely grated
- 2 medium onions, coarsely grated
- 2 medium free-range eggs, beaten
- 1 tsp salt
- 500ml sunflower oil
For the horseradish crème fraîche
- 150ml crème fraîche
- 1-2 tbsp grated horseradish or to taste (we used English Provender, widely available)
- Lemon juice to taste
- Combine all the ingredients for the horseradish crème fraîche in a small bowl, then season and set aside (or see make ahead).
- Put the grated potatoes in a large bowl of salted water and swirl with your hands to remove some starch. Drain and rinse under cold running water, then put on a clean tea towel with the grated onions. Gather the towel around and squeeze as hard as you can to extract the moisture (it helps to rest the towel on the side of the sink and use your weight to press down). Transfer to a large bowl, then mix in the eggs and salt.
- Put the oil in a large sauté pan and heat until a little of the mixture sizzles instantly when dropped in. Using a soup spoon as a size guide, gather up dollops of the mixture and squeeze together in your hands to form into a round.
- Working in batches, carefully drop in each one and fry for 3-4 minutes on each side until golden, crisp and cooked through. Remove with a slotted spoon. If you’re serving immediately, keep the cooked ones warm in a low oven while you do the rest. If not (see make ahead), drain them on a plate covered with kitchen paper as you go.
- Serve with the crème fraîche and salmon, with lemon wedges.
Make the crème fraîche and the latkes a day ahead and chill, covered. Reheat the latkes in a 200°C/180°C fan/gas 6 oven for 8-10 minutes to serve.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Favourite vegetarian recipes
Baked eggs with mushrooms, potatoes, spinach and Gruyère
Make this baked eggs recipe in just one pan – perfect for lunch, brunch or...