Strawberry and almond tray bake
- April 2005
- A crowd
- Hands-on time 15 min, oven-time 30 min
This sweet traybake recipe has a shortbread base and meringue-like topping, with a lovely strawberry jam layer. If you’re a fan of a classic bakewell tart, then this almondy bake is sure to go down well.
- 300g self-raising flour
- 75g butter
- 185g golden caster sugar
- 3 medium eggs, separated
- 5-6 tbsp milk
- 12 tbsp strawberry jam or conserve
- 60g ground almonds
- Few handfuls flaked almonds
- Grease and line the base and sides of a straight-sided, rectangular baking tin (about 30 x 20cm, and 5cm deep) with baking paper. Preheat the oven to 180C/fan160C/gas 4.
- Place the flour, butter, 75g sugar, egg yolks and milk in a food processor. Whizz until it resembles breadcrumbs, adding a little more milk if the mixture looks dry. Or, in a large bowl, rub the butter into the flour, stir in 75g sugar, then mix in the yolks and milk. Tip the mixture into the tin and, using damp hands, press down into an even, compact layer. Spread the jam evenly over the top.
- In a clean bowl, whisk the egg whites until soft peaks. Fold in the remaining sugar and ground almonds. Spread on top of the jam (don’t worry that it’s a thin layer, it will rise in the oven) and scatter with the flaked almonds. Bake for 30 minutes, or until risen and golden. Cool in the tin, then cut into slices.
Rate & review