Iced bakewell tart traybake
- August 2009
- Serves 14-16
- Takes 15 minutes to make, 35-40 minutes to cook, plus cooling and decorating
Take the classic bakewell tart recipe and make it into a tray bake in this recipe. A golden layer of shortcrust pastry topped with an almond cake, strawberry jam, icing and glacé cherries.
For more of a classic recipe, look no further than our champion bakewell tart.
- 25.2g (10g saturated)
- 60g (38.6g sugars)
- 500g sweet shortcrust pastry
- 6 tbsp strawberry jam
- 200g butter, softened
- 200g caster sugar
- 4 medium free-range eggs
- 100g ground almonds
- 100g self-raising flour, plus extra for dusting
- 1 tsp almond extract
- 300g icing sugar
- 20 glacé cherries
- 25g toasted flaked almonds
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/fan180°C/gas 6. On a lightly floured surface, roll out the pastry to fit the base and sides of a 30cm x 20cm baking tray. Spread the jam over the pastry base.
- Place the butter and caster sugar in a large bowl and beat with an electric hand whisk until smooth and creamy. Beat in the eggs, 1 at a time, adding 1 tbsp ground almonds after each addition. Add the flour, remaining almonds and almond extract and stir well. Spoon the mixture over the jam, spreading to make an even layer.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes until well risen, firm and golden. Remove from the oven and leave to cool in the tin.
- In a small bowl, mix together the icing sugar and 3 tbsp water to make a fairly thick icing. When the tart is cold, spoon the icing on top, spreading evenly. Decorate with glacé cherries and flaked almonds and leave to set. Cut the tart into squares or rectangles and arrange on platters to serve
Learn how to assemble this bakewell tart below…
To freeze: Make the tart, allow to cool, but don’t ice or decorate. Wrap well in cling film and foil and freeze for up to 3 months. Defrost fully before icing and decorating.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
More food for thought...
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...