- Unwins supplement in March 2017
- Serves 4
- Hands on time 15-20 mins
These sweetcorn fritters are a great vegetarian recipe, try them with chilli jam or tomato chutney. They’re fast and easy to make too – just two steps to fritter heaven.
- 5.3g (2.4g saturated)
- 6.3g (0.7g sugars)
Per fritter (for 12)
- 40g polenta or rice flour
- 30g plain flour
- ½ tsp baking powder
- 3 large free-range eggs, beaten
- 100ml crème fraîche
- 2 sweetcorn, corn cut from the cobs (or use a small can of drained sweetcorn)
- Bunch of spring onions, finely diced
- Small bunch of fresh chives, snipped
- 2 red chillies, deseeded and diced
- 1-2 tbsp olive oil
- Put the polenta, flour and baking powder in a bowl, make a well in the centre. Gradually add the eggs and mix to a smooth batter. Stir in the crème fraîche, sweetcorn, spring onions, chives, chillies and season.
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan. When hot, drop in spoonfuls of the fritter mixture. Flatten to make little cakes. Cook for 2-3 minutes each side, until crisp and golden. Serve with some chutney.
A bright Californian Chardonnay or Viognier works well.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Smoky sweetcorn fritters with tarragon yogurt
Smoky sweetcorn fritters are vegetarian food done right – served warm from the pan with...