Sweetcorn fritters with sweet chilli sauce
- July 2007
- Serves 6 as a starter
- Hands on time 15 min, cook time 25 min
These sweetcorn fritters with sweet chilli sauce double up as an easy starter or brilliant brunch dish. A food processor is used to do all the chopping too so it’s relatively fuss-free!
Check out these spiced sweetcorn fritters too with avocado, a fried egg and mint chutney.
- 8.2g (1.1g saturated)
- 52.5g (32.3g sugars)
- 375g fresh corn kernels, cut from about 3 corn cobs
- 1 large egg
- Handful fresh coriander leaves, chopped, plus extra sprigs to serve
- 90g plain flour, sifted
- 3⁄ tsp baking powder
- 2 spring onions, finely sliced
- 3tbsp grapeseed oil
- 1 cucumber, cut into batons, to serve
For the sweet chilli sauce
- 3 large red chillies, deseeded and chopped
- 250ml rice vinegar
- 2tsp sea salt
- 165g caster sugar
- 2 garlic cloves
- Make the chilli sauce. Whizz the sauce ingredients in a food processor or blender. Scrape into a pan and cook over a medium-low heat for 10 minutes until thick. Set aside
- Preheat the oven to 140°C/fan120°C/gas 1.In a food processor, whizz half the corn with the egg, coriander, flour and baking powder. Place in a large bowl, add the spring onions and remaining corn and stir.
- Heat 1 tbsp of oil in a non-stick frying pan over a medium-high heat. Drop in 6 heaped tablespoons of the mixture. Cook for 1 minute each side, until golden, remove and drain on kitchen paper. Keep warm in the oven while you cook the rest, adding 1 tablespoon of oil with each batch. This should make 18.
- Put the sweet chilli sauce into individual serving dishes, pop the corn cakes on plates, garnish with coriander and serve with the cucumber batons and lime wedges, if you like.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Subscribe to our magazine
Food lovers, treat yourself this Christmas... Enjoy 12 months of magazines for £29.99 – just £2.50 an issue.Subscribe
Unleash your inner chef
Looking for inspiration? Receive the latest recipes with our newsletter