Ultimate open steak sandwich
- March 2017
- Serves 4
- Hands-on time 30 min
We’ve taken the classic open steak sandwich up a notch by squeezing in one of your five-a-day and adding flavour with pesto-pepped peppers – midweek meals don’t get much better than this.
- 23.6g (5.1g saturated)
- 23.1g (4.9g sugars)
- 2 tbsp olive oil, plus extra (optional)
- 2 red peppers, seeds removed, thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 tbsp red pesto
- Juice ½ lemon
- ½ tbsp wholegrain mustard
- 4 x 100g minute steaks
- 4 thin slices sourdough bread
- 1 avocado, sliced
- 2 handfuls wild rocket
- In a large frying pan, heat a glug of oil over a medium heat. When hot, add the sliced peppers and fry for 5 minutes. Turn down the heat to low, then stir in the garlic and pesto. Cook for a further 5-8 minutes until the peppers are soft and charred.
- Meanwhile, combine the lemon juice, mustard and 2 tbsp olive oil in a medium bowl. Season with salt and pepper, then set aside.
- Heat a large griddle pan to searing hot. Brush a little oil over the base of the pan, then cook the steaks for 1 minute on each side for medium-rare (you may need to do this in batches). Set aside to rest on a plate.
- Toast the sourdough bread in the griddle pan for 1-2 minutes on each side until charred and crisp. You may need to add a little oil to stop it from burning.
- Slice the rested steaks. Put the sourdough toasts on 4 plates, then top with the pesto peppers, steak and avocado. Toss the rocket in the mustard dressing, then scatter over the open sandwiches. Serve straightaway.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Barbecue pepper steak sandwiches
A small barbecue is all you need to make a stonking supper of barbecue pepper...
More food for thought...
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...