Ultimate open steak sandwich
- March 2017
- Serves 4
- Hands-on time 30 min
We’ve taken the classic open steak sandwich up a notch by squeezing in one of your five-a-day and adding flavour with pesto-pepped peppers – midweek meals don’t get much better than this.
- 23.6g (5.1g saturated)
- 23.1g (4.9g sugars)
- 2 tbsp olive oil, plus extra (optional)
- 2 red peppers, seeds removed, thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 tbsp red pesto
- Juice ½ lemon
- ½ tbsp wholegrain mustard
- 4 x 100g minute steaks
- 4 thin slices sourdough bread
- 1 avocado, sliced
- 2 handfuls wild rocket
- In a large frying pan, heat a glug of oil over a medium heat. When hot, add the sliced peppers and fry for 5 minutes. Turn down the heat to low, then stir in the garlic and pesto. Cook for a further 5-8 minutes until the peppers are soft and charred.
- Meanwhile, combine the lemon juice, mustard and 2 tbsp olive oil in a medium bowl. Season with salt and pepper, then set aside.
- Heat a large griddle pan to searing hot. Brush a little oil over the base of the pan, then cook the steaks for 1 minute on each side for medium-rare (you may need to do this in batches). Set aside to rest on a plate.
- Toast the sourdough bread in the griddle pan for 1-2 minutes on each side until charred and crisp. You may need to add a little oil to stop it from burning.
- Slice the rested steaks. Put the sourdough toasts on 4 plates, then top with the pesto peppers, steak and avocado. Toss the rocket in the mustard dressing, then scatter over the open sandwiches. Serve straightaway.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Beef fajitas with avocado and sweetcorn salsa
Forget Friday night takeaways – this beef fajitas recipe takes just 30 minutes to make...