Grilled steak and salsa sarnie
- August 2011
- 3 tbsp Tesco Finest Pesto with Fresh Basil, or similar
- 350g rump or sirloin steak
- 2 ciabatta rolls, halved
- Olive oil for drizzling
- ½ small red onion
- 130g Tesco Finest Piccolo Cherry Tomatoes, or a mixture of red and yellow cherry tomatoes
- ½ tsp Very Lazy Red Chillies or ½ red chilli, chopped
- 1 tsp red wine vinegar
- 250g pot houmous (we like Yarden, from Tesco and Sainsbury’s)
- Brush 2 tbsp of the pesto all over the steak and season. Set aside for 10 minutes. Preheat a griddle (or light the barbecue). Grill the steak for 3 minutes on each side for medium-rare (or longer if you prefer), then remove and set aside to rest for 5 minutes. Drizzle the cut side of the ciabatta rolls with a little oil and griddle until charred.
- Meanwhile, for the salsa, finely chop the red onion and quarter the cherry tomatoes. Mix the two together along with the chilli, red wine vinegar, remaining pesto and some seasoning. To serve, thinly slice the steak and spread the houmous over the griddled rolls. Top with the sliced steak and spoon over the salsa.
Try folding everything except for the houmous and the ciabatta rolls into a bowl of fluffy cous cous.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Dinner ideas for two
Onglet steak with watercress butter and shoestring potatoes
Perfectly cooked steak is taken to the next level with...
Subscribe to our magazine
Food stories, skills and tested recipes, straight to your door... Enjoy 5 issues for just £5 with our special introductory offer.Subscribe
Unleash your inner chef
Looking for inspiration? Receive the latest recipes with our newsletter