- March 2018
- Serves 4
- Hands-on time 40 min
You don’t need meat to make a knockout brunch dish. We’ve made this vegan breakfast extra special with tangy tamarind tomatoes and a creamy avocado and bean mash.
- 16.9g (2.3g saturated)
- 18.6g (9.6g sugars)
- 200g mixed small peppers
- Oil for drizzling and frying
- 200g large oyster mushrooms
- 200g baby leaf spinach
For the tamarind tomatoes
- 2 shallots, roughly chopped
- 40g fresh ginger, grated
- 1 red chilli, deseeded and finely chopped
- 2 tbsp tamarind paste (from large supermarkets)
- 400g tin chopped tomatoes
- 1 tbsp palm sugar
For the avocado and bean mash
- 1 ripe avocado, roughly chopped
- 400g tin butter beans, drained & rinsed
- Juice 1 lemon
- ½ garlic clove, crushed
- 1 tsp sumac (from large supermarkets)
- Heat the oven to 200°C/180°C fan/gas 6. Put the peppers on a roasting tray and drizzle with a little oil. Roast for 25-30 minutes until soft and starting to blister.
- For the tamarind ketchup, heat more oil in a medium saucepan. Add the shallots and fry for 5 minutes, then add the ginger, chilli and tamarind paste. Fry for 2-3 minutes, then add the chopped tomatoes and sugar. Simmer for 20 minutes until thick, then season to taste.
- Meanwhile, mash the avocado and butter beans in a medium mixing bowl. Add the lemon juice, garlic and sumac and season to taste. Set aside.
- Heat another glug of oil in a frying pan and add the mushrooms, then fry over a medium-high heat for 5-8 minutes until soft and starting to caramelise. Push the mushrooms to one side of the pan, then add the spinach and stir-fry until wilted.
- Serve the avocado mash, peppers, mushrooms and spinach with a generous dollop of tamarind ketchup and toast on the side, if you like.
If you’re not vegan you can add your favourite eggs or grilled halloumi to the plate.
Make the tamarind ketchup up to 2 weeks in advance. Keep in a sealed container in a cool place.
Rate & review
Subscribe to our magazine
Food lovers, treat yourself this Christmas... Enjoy 12 months of magazines for £29.99 – just £2.50 an issue.Subscribe
Unleash your inner chef
Looking for inspiration? Receive the latest recipes with our newsletter