- September 2010
- Serves 6-8
- Takes 1 hour to make, plus freezing
This easy recipe for a homemade Viennetta is much better than the classic shop-bought dessert and the small effort is well worth it.
You might also love this gloriously retro jelly inspired by Zoom lollies.
- 30.6g (18.9g saturated)
- 29.5g (22.6g sugars)
For 8 servings
- 500ml whipping cream
- 140ml liquid glucose (available in Sainsbury’s)
- 25g icing sugar
- 1 vanilla pod, split, seeds scraped out
- Vegetable oil for greasing
- 150g dark chocolate, melted
- Whip the cream until soft peaks form, then add the glucose, icing sugar and vanilla seeds. Whisk until the cream has a pipe-able consistency and holds up on its own. Put a star-shaped nozzle on a piping bag, then fill with the whisked cream.
- Place some lightly oiled baking paper on a small, chilled tray and pipe a rectangle of cream mixture onto the paper (about 22cm long x 10cm wide). Drizzle over a little of the melted chocolate using a fork or fine piping bag, or spray it on (see tip).
- Place in the freezer to set for about 45 minutes (keep the remaining cream in the fridge), then pipe more cream over the top and drizzle or spray over more chocolate. Continue in this way until all the cream is used (you should have about 4 layers of cream), ending with a drizzle of chocolate.
- Freeze for at least another 2 hours and serve in slices.
For a great effect, put the melted chocolate in a spray bottle and spray each piped layer of cream mixture as you make it (except for the very top), rather than drizzling or piping it on. But be sure to keep the spray in warm water, otherwise the chocolate will set.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Subscribe to our magazine
Food lovers, treat yourself this Christmas... Enjoy 12 months of magazines for £29.99 – just £2.50 an issue.Subscribe
Unleash your inner chef
Looking for inspiration? Receive the latest recipes with our newsletter