Warm cabbage and pancetta slaw
- December 2014
- Serves 4 as a side dish
- Hands-on time 20 min
Try serving this wintery coleslaw, made with cabbage, chicory and pancetta, as a side dish for roast meats.
- 16.7g (9.1g saturated)
- 7.3g (6.4g sugars)
- 80g pancetta, finely chopped
- 50g butter (see tip)
- ½ white cabbage (about 400g),finely shredded
- 2 red chicory, finely sliced
- 1 tsp light brown muscovado sugar
- 2 mace blades
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 white peppercorns, bashed
- 2 fresh rosemary sprigs
- 100ml dry white wine
- Set a wide, deep frying pan or sauté pan over a medium heat and fry the pancetta until crisp (see tip).
- Add the butter to the pan, then cook the cabbage, chicory, sugar, mace, bay, peppercorns and rosemary, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes. Pour in the wine and bubble right down (this will take about 5 minutes). Taste and season well, then serve warm.
If your pancetta is very fatty, you may only need to add half the butter to cook the cabbage.
Make this the day before, then cool, cover and chill. Reheat on the hob to serve.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...