Winter slaw with hazelnuts
- December 2013
- Serves 6
- 25 minutes
A simple winter salad recipe of crunchy, bright cold-weather flavours, including cabbage, celeriac and pears.
- Gluten-free recipes
- Vegetarian recipes
- 17.7g (2.2g saturated)
- 14.6g carbs (14g sugars)
- 3 tbsp redcurrant jelly
- 1½ tbsp Dijon mustard
- 3 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 150ml extra-virgin olive oil
- 400g celeriac
- 4 ripe pears
- 500g red cabbage
- 4 handfuls of fresh parsley leaves
- 4 small handfuls of toasted hazelnuts, roughly chopped
- Put the redcurrant jelly, mustard and vinegar in a small bowl, along with the salt and a good grind of pepper. Whisk together until the jelly has dissolved, then gradually whisk in the oil to make a thick dressing.
- Tip half the dressing into a large salad bowl, keeping the rest to one side. Peel and cut the celeriac into matchsticks and quickly toss with the dressing in the salad bowl to prevent them from browning. Core the pears, then slice, discarding the cores. Add to the celeriac, mix again to prevent browning, then cover and keep chilled (see tips).
- Cut the hard central core from the cabbage and discard, then finely shred the leaves and put in another bowl, along with the parsley and hazelnuts. Cover and chill.
- When you’re ready to eat, tip the cabbage, parsley and nuts into the bowl with the celeriac and pears. Add the remaining dressing, then toss everything together until thoroughly mixed and coated. Taste, adjust the seasoning and serve.
The vegetables and dressing can be prepared a few hours in advance so everything just needs tossing together at the last minute.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Apple and fennel slaw
Fresh and crunchy coleslaw makes a perfect side to sandwiches, meats or savoury tarts. This...
This five-spice coleslaw is a quick and easy vegetarian side-dish perfect for any summer party.