Warm chicken, barley and mushroom salad
- October 2014
- Serves 4
- Hands-on time 25 min, simmering time 30 min, plus marinating
This warm chicken, barley and mushroom salad recipe makes a lovely autumnal lunch.
- 10.6g fat (2.9g saturated)
- 19.6g protein
- 21g carbs (0.5g sugars)
- 1.8g fibre
- 0.3g salt
- 100g pearl barley
- 2 celery sticks
- 350g mushrooms
- 2 garlic cloves
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 4 free-range skinless, boneless chicken thighs
- knob of butter
- Simmer the pearl barley in salted water for 30 minutes until al dente. Drain.
- Meanwhile slice the celery sticks, mushrooms and garlic cloves. In a bowl, mix the lemon juice, 1 tbsp olive oil and half the garlic. Add the chicken thighs and marinate for 10 minutes.
- Fry the chicken in 1 tbsp olive oil for 3-4 minutes on each side until cooked. Set aside, then return the pan to the heat.
- Add the butter and, when foaming, add the celery, mushrooms and remaining garlic. Cook, stirring, until the liquid evaporates.
- Toss with the barley and the parsley leaves. Slice the chicken and add with any juices and a squeeze of lemon. Toss, season and serve warm.
Use ready-cooked barley, warm through and toss through the remaining ingredients.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Rosemary-roasted butternut, courgette, amaranth and barley couscous salad
Ghillie James combines squash, courgette, crumbled soft cheese and mixed grains to make a filling...