White chocolate and raspberry trifle
- January 2009
- Serves 6-8
- Takes 20-25 min to make, 12-15 min to cook, plus setting
A special trifle recipe made with homemade fairy cakes, raspberries, mascarpone, amaretto and white chocolate.
- 59.6g (35.7g saturated)
- 73.7g (57.8g sugars)
- 115g caster sugar
- 115g softened butter
- 2 large free-range eggs
- 115g self-raising flour
- 200g white chocolate, chopped
- 450g fresh or frozen raspberries, plus extra for decorating
- 3 tbsp icing sugar
- 250ml double cream
- 300g mascarpone
- 100ml amaretto liqueur
- 500ml thick, ready-made custard
- 100g plain chocolate
- Preheat the oven to 190°C/fan 170°C/gas 5. Cream together the caster sugar and butter until light and creamy. Add the eggs, 1 at a time, mixing well after each addition. Sift over the flour and fold in gently. Stir two-thirds of the white chocolate into the batter along with a quarter of the raspberries. Place 12 fairy cake cases in a bun tin and half-fill each with the batter. Bake for 12–15 minutes, until golden brown.
- Lightly crush half the remaining raspberries with 1 tbsp icing sugar in a bowl and set aside. In a bowl, briefly whisk the cream, mascarpone and the remaining icing sugar together until just combined and smooth.
- Discard the fairy cake cases, halve the cakes horizontally and use to cover the bottom of a large glass dish, pressing each cake against the side so that there are no gaps (freeze any leftover cakes for up to 3 months). Pour the amaretto over the cakes and top with crushed and whole remaining raspberries and the remaining white chocolate. Top with the custard, then spoon over the mascarpone cream.
- Melt the chocolate in a bowl over a pan of simmering water and use a clean paint brush to brush 2 coats of chocolate onto clean, flat holly leaves. Leave to set, then gently peel away the leaf. Use to decorate the trifle along with the extra raspberries.
This dessert can be made a day ahead. If you are short of time, you could substitute trifle sponges or amaretti biscuits for the white chocolate fairy cakes.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Caramelised pineapple and coconut trifle with rum syllabub
A boozy, fruity trifle with coconut custard is the perfect end to an evening. This...