Wild rice salad with peas, pea shoots and green harissa
- July 2015
- Serves 6-8 as a starter or side dish
- Hands-on time 15 min, simmering time 30 min
A summery, vegetarian rice salad recipe full of fresh flavours and with a kick of chilli – from the chefs at Mildreds restaurant in Soho, London.
- 1.1g (0.1g saturated)
- 31.2g (2.7g sugars)
For 8 servings
- 300g wild rice (see tip)
- 150g frozen garden peas
- 6 spring onions
- 1 medium cucumber
- Bunch fresh flat leaf parsley, leaves picked
- Bunch fresh coriander, leaves picked
- 2 green chillies, deseeded and finely chopped
- 100ml green harissa paste (see know-how)
- Grated zest and juice 1 lemon
- 50g pea shoots to garnish
- Bring a pan of salted water to the boil. Add the rice, reduce to a simmer and cook for about 30 minutes or until tender. Add the peas for the last 5 minutes. Drain the rice and peas and run under cold water until cool, then set aside (see make ahead).
- Thinly slice the spring onions and roughly chop the cucumber and herbs, then put in a large bowl. Add the chopped chillies to the bowl along with the cooled rice and peas. Toss through the green harissa, grated lemon zest and juice, then garnish with the pea shoots to serve
Mildreds: The Vegetarian Cookbook by Mildreds, Photography by Jonathan Gregson, Prop styling by Tabitha Hawkins, Published by Mitchell Beazley, £25, www.octopusbooks.co.uk.
Add the lemon juice just before serving to make sure the greens remain vibrant.
If you can’t find wild rice, use a mix of basmati and wild, such as the one from Tilda (widely available).
This salad is great served with greek yogurt and flatbreads.
Cook the rice, then drain and rinse under cold water until cool. Drain again, then keep covered in the fridge for up to 24 hours. Continue with the recipe from step 2.
Green harissa, like red harissa, is made with chillies, peppers, herbs and spices. Available from Sainsbury’s and Ocado, online specialists and Middle Eastern grocers.
Rate & review
Subscribe to our magazine
Food lovers, treat yourself this Christmas... Enjoy 12 months of magazines for £29.99 – just £2.50 an issue.Subscribe
Unleash your inner chef
Looking for inspiration? Receive the latest recipes with our newsletter