What to do with leftover madeira
Madeira is a fortified wine, which is a popular addition used in cooking. Use up leftover madeira in your cooking by trying these recipes.
Recipes using madeira
- Saffron-poached pear, madeira and ginger trifle
- Madeira-glazed chorizo with leeks and new potatoes
- Wild mushroom and madeira stew with walnuts
How to use up leftover madeira
- Boozy cream Stir leftover madeira into Crème fraîche or whipped cream and dollop onto your favourite cake or pudding.
- Bread pudding Beat together 4 free-range eggs, 240ml double cream and 240ml whole milk with 120ml madeira in a bowl. Arrange slices of white bread cut into triangles in an ovenproof dish, pour over the egg mixture and sprinkle over a couple of spoonfuls of brown sugar. Dot with butter and bake at 160°C/140°C fan/gas 3 for 20-25 minutes until just wobbly in the centre. Best served warm.