What to do with leftover pearl barley
Pearl barley is a popular grain used in cooking. Discover how you can use up leftover pearl barley.
Recipes using pearl barley
- Pearl barley and vegetable stew
- Mushroom and spinach pearl barley risotto
- Smoked haddock, leeks and pearl barley
How to use up leftover pearl barley
- Warm salad. Cook pearl barley in boiling salted water until tender (about 25 minutes), then drain. Drizzle with extra-virgin olive oil and season well. Toss through chopped roasted beetroot, lots of soft fresh herbs, a squeeze of lemon juice and crumbled feta. Serve warm.
- Barley risotto. Use pearl barley instead of rice to make risotto: search deliciousmagazine.co.uk for a recipe. Cook in the same way, adding wine, then stock, a little at a time. It may need a bit more liquid and time.
- Hearty casserole. Make a chicken casserole, adding a little extra stock. Add pearl barley for the last 30-40 minutes of the cooking time. Top up with hot stock if it looks dry – you won’t need to serve potatoes with this.
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...