What to do with leftover pearl barley
Pearl barley is a popular grain used in cooking. Discover how you can use up leftover pearl barley.
Recipes using pearl barley
- Pearl barley and vegetable stew
- Mushroom and spinach pearl barley risotto
- Smoked haddock, leeks and pearl barley
How to use up leftover pearl barley
- Warm salad. Cook pearl barley in boiling salted water until tender (about 25 minutes), then drain. Drizzle with extra-virgin olive oil and season well. Toss through chopped roasted beetroot, lots of soft fresh herbs, a squeeze of lemon juice and crumbled feta. Serve warm.
- Barley risotto. Use pearl barley instead of rice to make risotto: search deliciousmagazine.co.uk for a recipe. Cook in the same way, adding wine, then stock, a little at a time. It may need a bit more liquid and time.
- Hearty casserole. Make a chicken casserole, adding a little extra stock. Add pearl barley for the last 30-40 minutes of the cooking time. Top up with hot stock if it looks dry – you won’t need to serve potatoes with this.