- 2 chicken thighs and 2 drumsticks, skinned and boned
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 3 tbsp balti curry paste
- 2 baking potatoes (about 520g), chopped into small pieces
- 200g tin chopped tomatoes
- 250g frozen chopped spinach, defrosted and squeezed dry (see tip)
- Natural yogurt to serve (optional)
- Chop the chicken into bite-size pieces, discarding any tendons. Heat 1 tbsp of the oil in a sauté pan, then fry the chicken all over for 3 minutes until golden. Remove and set aside. heat the remaining oil in the pan, then fry the onion for 8 minutes or until soft. Stir through the curry paste and cook for 2 minutes more.
- Return the chicken to the pan along with the potatoes, stirring to coat. Add the tinned tomatoes and 200ml water, then season well. Bring to a simmer and bubble gently for 10 minutes. Cover, then continue to cook for 10 minutes more, stirring every now and then, until the potatoes are tender.
- Stir through the spinach, cover and warm through gently for 5 minutes. Season, then serve with natural yogurt, if you wish.
- For a creamier curry, fold through 3-4 tbsp natural yogurt towards the end of cooking. Frozen spinach is cheaper than fresh and just as nutritious. To defrost quickly, put in a bowl and cover with boiling water. Leave for 5 minutes, then drain, refresh under cold water and squeeze dry.