Asparagus and hollandaise tart
- May 2014
- Serves 8
- Hands-on time 40 min, oven time 25-30 min
Asparagus and rich buttery hollandaise are a great double act. Try the combination in this tart recipe.
- Vegetarian recipes
- 47.3g (25.1g saturated)
- 19.3g (1.8g sugars)
- 0.5g salt
- 320g all-butter ready rolled shortcrust pastry
- 2 asparagus spears
- 400ml double cream
- 4 medium free-range egg yolks
- 15g parmesan or vegetarian alternative, grated
- 2 tbsp snipped fresh chives
- 1 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 55g unsalted butter, cut into cubes
- Good squeeze lemon juice
- Heat the oven to 200°C/fan180°C/gas 6. Line a 35cm x 12cm fluted tart tin (or a 20cm round one) with the pastry and chill for 15 minutes. Line the pastry case with baking paper or foil, and fill to the top with baking beans or rice, then cook on a baking sheet in the oven for 12 minutes. Remove the beans/rice and paper/foil, then bake for a further 5 minutes or until lightly golden and sandy to the touch. Set aside on the baking sheet. Turn down the oven to 150°C/fan130°C/gas 2.
- Meanwhile, blanch the asparagus for 2 minutes in boiling water, then drain and refresh under cold water. Slice the stems into small pieces; keep the tips whole.
- In a large jug, beat the cream, egg yolks, parmesan and chives. Add the asparagus stem pieces and season well. Put the white wine vinegar in a saucepan over a low heat, then whisk in the butter a little at a time until you have a thick and glossy sauce. Pour this into the jug and mix together with a good squeeze of lemon juice.
- Pour into the tart case, then dot all over with the asparagus tips. Bake for 25-30 minutes until just set but with a slight wobble in the centre. Leave to cool for 10-15 minutes, then cut into portions and serve.
Bake the pastry case (step 1) the day before, cool, then wrap in cling film in its tin. The tart is best eaten the day it’s made.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...