Quick asparagus and taleggio tart
- May 2013
- 125g fine asparagus tips, or similar
- 200g all-butter puff pastry
- 100g Italian parmigiano reggiano shavings
- Olive oil for frying
- 4 banana shallots, finely sliced
- Plain flour to dust
- 2 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 100g taleggio, cut into 8 slices
- 1 free-range egg yolk, beaten
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/fan180°C/gas 6. Heat a little olive oil in a frying pan, then gently fry the shallots for 5 minutes until soft but not coloured.
- Bring a medium pan of water to the boil, then blanch the asparagus tips for 2 minutes until bright green. Drain and refresh under ice-cold water, then slice in half lengthways and set aside.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out the puff pastry to the thickness of a pound coin, then divide into 2 x 15cm squares and transfer to a lined baking sheet. Score a 1cm border around the inside of each pastry square, then spoon the mustard into the middle and spread up to the border. Top each tart with 4 taleggio slices, the asparagus spears, shallots and parmesan.
- Brush the pastry edges with the beaten egg yolk, season with sea salt and black pepper, then bake for 20 minutes or until golden and bubbling. Serve with salad leaves.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Subscribe to our magazine
Food lovers, treat yourself this Christmas... Enjoy 12 months of magazines for £29.99 – just £2.50 an issue.Subscribe
Unleash your inner chef
Looking for inspiration? Receive the latest recipes with our newsletter