Asparagus, sweet potato and feta fritters
- June 2011
- Serves 4
- Takes 20 minutes to make, plus chilling
This vegetarian fritter recipe, made with asparagus and sweet potato, is packed full of flavour. They’re are perfect popped into a picnic basket or served as a starter.
- Vegetarian recipes
- 9.5g (3.5g saturated)
- 10.1g (2.2g sugar)
- 250g asparagus bunch, woody ends snapped off, stems thinly sliced, tips left whole
- 250g sweet potato, grated
- Small handful each of fresh oregano, parsley and mint roughly chopped, plus extra to serve
- 1 large free-range egg, beaten
- 200g feta, crumbled
- 3 tbsp plain flour
- Vegetable oil for frying
- Blanch the asparagus tips in boiling salted water for 30 seconds, drain, then refresh under cold water. Put the grated sweet potato in a clean tea towel and squeeze out as much moisture as you can.
- Mix the sweet potato with the sliced asparagus and tips, herbs, egg, feta and flour. Season well, then chill for 15 minutes.
- Heat the vegetable oil to a depth of 1cm in a non-stick frying pan over a medium heat. Put large spoonfuls of the asparagus mixture into the hot oil, flattening a little with the back of a spoon. Fry in batches for 2 minutes on each side until golden. Remove with a slotted spoon and set aside on kitchen paper. Repeat with the remaining mixture. Serve warm with herbs scattered on top.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Corn fritters with crispy bacon, red pepper jam and soured cream
Forget a fry-up, Simmone Logue‘s corn fritters are perfect for a lazy brunch. For those...