Asparagus, sweet potato and feta fritters
- June 2011
- Serves 4
- Takes 20 minutes to make, plus chilling
This vegetarian fritter recipe, made with asparagus and sweet potato, is packed full of flavour. They’re are perfect popped into a picnic basket or served as a starter.
- 9.5g (3.5g saturated)
- 10.1g (2.2g sugar)
- 250g asparagus bunch, woody ends snapped off, stems thinly sliced, tips left whole
- 250g sweet potato, grated
- Small handful each of fresh oregano, parsley and mint roughly chopped, plus extra to serve
- 1 large free-range egg, beaten
- 200g feta, crumbled
- 3 tbsp plain flour
- Vegetable oil for frying
- Blanch the asparagus tips in boiling salted water for 30 seconds, drain, then refresh under cold water. Put the grated sweet potato in a clean tea towel and squeeze out as much moisture as you can.
- Mix the sweet potato with the sliced asparagus and tips, herbs, egg, feta and flour. Season well, then chill for 15 minutes.
- Heat the vegetable oil to a depth of 1cm in a non-stick frying pan over a medium heat. Put large spoonfuls of the asparagus mixture into the hot oil, flattening a little with the back of a spoon. Fry in batches for 2 minutes on each side until golden. Remove with a slotted spoon and set aside on kitchen paper. Repeat with the remaining mixture. Serve warm with herbs scattered on top.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Corn fritters with crispy bacon, red pepper jam and soured cream
These sweetcorn fritters with crispy bacon, red pepper jam and...
Subscribe to our magazine
Food lovers, treat yourself this Christmas... Enjoy 12 months of magazines for £29.99 – just £2.50 an issue.Subscribe
Unleash your inner chef
Looking for inspiration? Receive the latest recipes with our newsletter