Aubergine rolls with pesto
- May 2007
- Serves 4
- Hands-on time 50 min, oven time 6-7 min
A simple recipe of aubergine rolls with home-made pesto that’s delicious, impressive and suitable for vegetarians, too.
- Vegetarian recipes
- 0.3g (10.1g saturated)
- 13.8g (12.4g sugars)
- 3 aubergines, topped and tailed
- Extra-virgin olive oil, for brushing and drizzling
- 2 small carrots, cut into matchsticks
- 1 red pepper, deseeded and sliced
- 16 fine asparagus spears, trimmed
For the pesto
- 1 garlic clove, roughly chopped
- 100g SunBlush tomatoes in oil, drained
- 2 tbsp pine nuts
- 20g fresh basil leaves
- 75g vegetarian Parmesan, finely grated
- 125ml extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp double cream
- Slice each aubergine lengthways into 4-5mm thick strips (discard the outer strips). You need 16. Season, brush with oil and stand for 5 min. Char on a hot griddle for 1-2 min a side. Set aside.
- Blanch the other veg in boiling water, 1 at a time: carrots for 3 min; pepper for 2; and asparagus for 1, until just tender with a slight bite. Refresh in iced water. Drain, pat dry and set aside.
- Make the pesto. In a food processor, coarsely blend the garlic, tomatoes and nuts. Add the basil, cheese and oil and whizz again. Season. Stir in the cream.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/fan160°C/gas 4. Lay some vegetables at the end of each aubergine slice. Roll up to secure and pop in a large baking dish. Drizzle with oil and bake for 6-7 min or until hot. Serve 4 each, with the pesto. Garnish with lemon wedges and salad leaves, if you like.
Leftover pesto keeps for 5 days, if chilled.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
More food for thought...
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...