Aubergine rolls with pesto
- May 2007
- Serves 4
- Hands-on time 50 min, oven time 6-7 min
A simple recipe of aubergine rolls with home-made pesto that’s delicious, impressive and suitable for vegetarians, too.
- Vegetarian recipes
- 0.3g (10.1g saturated)
- 13.8g (12.4g sugars)
- 3 aubergines, topped and tailed
- Extra-virgin olive oil, for brushing and drizzling
- 2 small carrots, cut into matchsticks
- 1 red pepper, deseeded and sliced
- 16 fine asparagus spears, trimmed
For the pesto
- 1 garlic clove, roughly chopped
- 100g SunBlush tomatoes in oil, drained
- 2 tbsp pine nuts
- 20g fresh basil leaves
- 75g vegetarian Parmesan, finely grated
- 125ml extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp double cream
- Slice each aubergine lengthways into 4-5mm thick strips (discard the outer strips). You need 16. Season, brush with oil and stand for 5 min. Char on a hot griddle for 1-2 min a side. Set aside.
- Blanch the other veg in boiling water, 1 at a time: carrots for 3 min; pepper for 2; and asparagus for 1, until just tender with a slight bite. Refresh in iced water. Drain, pat dry and set aside.
- Make the pesto. In a food processor, coarsely blend the garlic, tomatoes and nuts. Add the basil, cheese and oil and whizz again. Season. Stir in the cream.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/fan160°C/gas 4. Lay some vegetables at the end of each aubergine slice. Roll up to secure and pop in a large baking dish. Drizzle with oil and bake for 6-7 min or until hot. Serve 4 each, with the pesto. Garnish with lemon wedges and salad leaves, if you like.
Leftover pesto keeps for 5 days, if chilled.
Rate & review