Bacon, potato and sweetcorn soup
- April 2005
- Serves 6
- Ready in 35 minutes
This creamy bacon, potato and sweetcorn soup is so packed with flavour that it could be served just with crusty bread as a satisfying lunch.
- 15g (5.9g saturated)
- 26.8g (6.6g sugar)
- 200g pack smoked lardons, or 6 rashers smoked bacon, roughly chopped
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 celery sticks, finely sliced
- 2 large potatoes, cut into bite-size pieces
- 1.2 litres fresh vegetable stock, hot
- 198g can sweetcorn, drained and rinsed
- 142ml carton single cream
- Handful fresh parsley, chopped
- Heat a large non-stick saucepan over a high heat. When hot, add the lardons or bacon and cook, stirring, for 5 minutes, until golden. Remove and set aside. Add the oil to the pan, reduce the heat slightly, then add the onion and celery. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes until softened.
- Add the potato and stock, bring to the boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 10 minutes, until the potato is tender but still holding its shape. Add the sweetcorn, cream and bacon and simmer for 2-3 minutes to heat through. Stir in the parsley, then season to taste. If taking to a picnic, pour into warmed flasks.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Fennel soup with winter greens and bacon
This fennel soup recipe includes winter greens and bacon. It’s crammed with winter goodness and...
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...