Truffled parsnip soup with hazelnuts and bacon
- October 2016
- Serves 8
- Hands-on time 30 min, simmering time 20 min
If you’ve always thought soup couldn’t be decadent, you need to try this rich combination of parsnips, truffle oil, bacon and hazelnuts.
- 26.5g (10g saturated)
- 41.6g (13.7g sugars)
- 75g unsalted butter
- 2 onions, roughly chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, sliced
- 1kg parsnips, roughly chopped
- 850g red-skinned potatoes, roughly chopped
- 750ml whole milk
- 1 litre chicken stock
- 2-3 tsp truffle oil (it depends on the potency of your truffle oil)
- Juice ½ lemon (if needed)
For the garnish
- 200g British free-range bacon lardons
- 60g blanched hazelnuts, chopped
- Small bunch fresh curly leaf parsley, finely chopped
- Truffle oil or extra-virgin olive oil to drizzle
- Melt the butter in a large pan. Add the onion and cook over a low-medium heat, stirring often, until softened but not coloured. Add the garlic and cook for a few minutes more. Add the parsnips, potatoes, milk and stock. Bring to a simmer and cook for 10-15 minutes until the vegetables are tender. Remove 4-5 pieces of potato and set aside.
- Season the soup, then add 2 tsp truffle oil. Blend in batches until smooth. Add more salt, pepper, truffle oil or lemon juice to taste.
- Chop the reserved potato into 1cm cubes. Heat a frying pan, then add the bacon lardons and fry until sizzling. Add the potatoes. Fry until everything is golden and crisp. Add the nuts for the last few minutes so they turn lightly golden. Remove the garnish with a slotted spoon, leaving the fat in the pan.
- Reheat the soup to steaming, then ladle into bowls and top with the garnish, some parsley and a drizzle of truffle or extra-virgin olive oil, depending on how strong you’d like the flavour. Serve immediately.
If you want to make this vegetarian, use vegetable stock instead of chicken, and boil an extra 200g potato to use for the garnish instead of the bacon. You’ll also need to add about 100ml more liquid to the soup.
The soup will keep covered in the fridge for up to 48 hours, or in the freezer for 1 month. Reheat thoroughly to serve.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Freezable soup recipes
Roasted parsnip and parmesan soup with hot thyme scones
This creamy soup is great as a starter, but just as good for a comforting...