Baked camembert with honey, granola and rye crackers
- April 2020
- Serves 4
- Hands on time 25 min, Oven time about 1 hour
This isn’t your run-of-the-mill baked camembert recipe. We’ve combined an oozy baked cheese with the the crunch of homemade rye crackers, a savoury seed granola and a drizzle of sweet honey to top it all off. Serve as a standout starter at your next dinner party.
Love this idea? Check out our baked camembert with crispy pancetta and sourdough too.
- Vegetarian recipes
- 27.4g (10.8g saturated)
- 62g (6.2g sugars)
- 250g camembert (in a wooden box)
- 1 small garlic clove, finely sliced
- 1 fresh rosemary sprig
- 2 bay leaves
- Splash dry white wine
- 1 tbsp runny honey, plus an extra drizzle
- Piece raw honeycomb (optional)
For the savoury granola
- 25g mixed seeds
- 50g buckwheat
- 50g rolled oats
- 1 tbsp runny honey
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Finely grated zest ½ lemon juice
For the rye crackers
- 150g rye flour
- 150g plain flour, plus extra to dust
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 4 tbsp olive oil, plus extra to brush
You’ll also need…
- 2 large baking sheets lined with reusable non-stick baking liners;
compostable baking paper
- Heat the oven to 200°C/180°C fan/gas 6. Mix all the ingredients for the
granola along with a pinch each of salt and pepper, then spread over a baking tray and bake for 15 minutes, stirring halfway through, until golden and crisp. Set aside to cool (see Make Ahead).
- For the crackers, mix the flours and salt in a large bowl. Make a well in the centre and pour in 145ml cold water and the olive oil. Using your hands, bring together into a dough, adding a little more water if needed. Tip onto a floured worktop and knead briefly. Divide into 25 equal pieces, then roll out each one as thinly as possible – any shape works.
- Transfer the crackers to the lined baking sheets, brush with a little extra oil and sprinkle with salt and black pepper. Bake for 10 minutes until golden and cooked (you’ll need to do this in batches). Transfer to a wire rack to cool. Break up the crackers to serve (see Make Ahead).
- Remove the cheese from all its packaging (keep the box base), re-wrap in baking paper, then put back in the box base. Cut a cross in the top of the cheese with the tip of a sharp knife, then poke in a few garlic slivers, the rosemary and the bay leaves. Splash the cheese with the wine and add the 1 tbsp honey.
- Wrap the cheese (in its box base) in foil to seal, then bake on a tray for 20 minutes until gooey. Remove from the foil, then serve scattered with the granola, a drizzle of honey and the raw honeycomb (if using), with the crackers for dunking.
You can also sprinkle the rye crackers with any chopped nuts, seeds or spices you like before baking.
Keep the cooled granola and crackers in separate airtight containers for up to 1 week. The recipe makes more crackers than you need for 4 people.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Baked cheese with herb pesto
An easy take on cheese fondue served with pesto. Perfect for sharing with friends.
Baked camembert with crispy pancetta and sourdough sticks
An oozy, boozy, pancetta-covered baked camembert is the perfect dinner party starter recipe. Serve with...