Baked chermoula salmon with roasted red pepper couscous
- November 2007
- 4 x 175g pieces skinned salmon fillet
For the chermoula
- 2 small garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- ¾ tsp paprika
- 1 tsp harissa paste or ½ tsp minced red chilli (sambal oelek) from a jar
- Pinch of saffron strands
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- Small bunch of fresh coriander leaves, roughly chopped
- Small bunch of fresh mint leaves, roughly chopped
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- ¼ tsp salt
For the red pepper, lemon and mint couscous
- 2 red peppers
- 350ml fresh chicken stock
- 275g couscous
- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 15g butter
- Finely grated zest of 1 small lemon, plus juice of ½ lemon
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh mint
- Preheat the oven to 220°C/ fan200°C/gas 7. For the couscous, place the red peppers on a baking tray and roast for 20-25 minutes. Seal in a food bag and leave to cool, then remove and discard the skin, stalks and seeds and chop the flesh into small pieces. Set aside. Increase the oven temperature to 230°C/fan210°C/gas 8.
- Meanwhile, put all the chermoula ingredients into a mini food processor and blend to a smooth paste.
- Line a baking tray with a sheet of baking paper. Season the skinned side of each salmon fillet with salt and pepper and then spread with some of the chermoula. Place chermoula-side down on the baking tray, season once more and spread with the remaining chermoula.
- Cover the tray tightly with foil and bake the fish in the oven for 12 minutes. Meanwhile, bring the chicken stock to the boil in a medium pan. Stir in the couscous, cover and remove from the heat. Leave for 5 minutes, then uncover and fluff up with a fork. Add the oil and butter and stir over a low heat until heated through. Then stir in the roasted red peppers, lemon zest and juice, chopped mint and plenty of seasoning.
- Remove the salmon from the oven and discard the foil. Spoon the couscous onto 4 warmed plates and place the salmon alongside. Spoon over the cooking juices from the baking tray and serve.
Rate & review