Baked honey figs with toasted almonds and vanilla cream
- October 2009
- 25g butter, plus extra for greasing
- 8 large, ripe figs, halved lengthways
- 2 tbsp demerara sugar
- 2 tbsp runny honey
- Grated zest of 1 orange and a squeeze of juice
- 200ml extra-thick double cream
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 75g toasted flaked almonds
- Preheat the oven to 200°c/fan 180°c/gas 6. Butter a medium ovenproof dish and place the figs, cut-side up, in it. Place a dot of butter in the middle of each fig half, then scatter with the sugar.
- In a small bowl, mix the honey, orange juice and half the orange zest, then drizzle over the figs. Place the figs in the oven and bake them for 15 minutes until sticky and soft.
- Meanwhile, in a bowl, lightly whip the cream with the vanilla, then spoon into a bowl and sprinkle with remaining orange zest.
- Divide the figs and syrup among serving bowls and sprinkle with the toasted flaked almonds. Serve while warm with a generous dollop of the vanilla cream.
You can also try this recipe using ripe plums or damsons.
Rate & review