Baked lemon curd syrup sponges with brandy custard
- May 2017
- Makes 6
- Hands-on time 20 min, oven time 30 min
We’ve given these dainty sponges a little grown-up treatment with a slug of brandy, a citrussy syrup and a boozy custard. They would make an impressive dinner party dessert.
- 20.9g (12.3g saturated)
- 51.5g (45.8g sugars)
- 115g butter, softened
- 115g light brown soft sugar
- 2 large free-range eggs
- 115g self-raising flour
- Handful fresh/dried breadcrumbs
- Grated zest 1 lemon and juice ½
- Grated zest 1 orange and juice ½
- 6 tbsp golden syrup
- 1 tbsp brandy, plus 1½ tbsp extra
- 6 rounded tsp lemon curd
- 500ml tub fresh custard
You’ll also need…
- 6 x 150ml dariole moulds or ramekins, lightly greased, base-lined with a disc of non-stick baking paper
- Heat the oven to 180°C/160°C fan/ gas 4. In a mixing bowl, beat the butter, sugar, eggs and flour with an electric mixer until combined. Stir in the breadcrumbs and half the zests.
- In a small bowl, mix the remaining zests and all the juice with the golden syrup and 1 tbsp brandy. Put 1 tbsp into each mould (reserve the rest).
- Divide the sponge mixture among the moulds and put 1 tsp lemon curd in the middle of each (the curd will merge into the sponge). Put the moulds on a baking tray and bake for 30 minutes until risen and golden.
- Meanwhile, gently warm the custard and extra 1½ tbsp brandy in a pan. Turn out the puddings onto plates and drizzle over the remaining syrup. Serve with the boozy custard.
Watch the recipe video…
Weigh all the ingredients ahead, then mix together just before baking.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Bavarian cream with kirsch cherries
Give yourself a treat with this delectable German cream and kirsch cherries dessert recipe.
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...