Baked lemon curd syrup sponges with brandy custard
- May 2017
- Makes 6
- Hands-on time 20 min, oven time 30 min
We’ve given these dainty sponges a little grown-up treatment with a slug of brandy, a citrussy syrup and a boozy custard. They would make an impressive dinner party dessert.
- 20.9g (12.3g saturated)
- 51.5g (45.8g sugars)
- 115g butter, softened
- 115g light brown soft sugar
- 2 large free-range eggs
- 115g self-raising flour
- Handful fresh/dried breadcrumbs
- Grated zest 1 lemon and juice ½
- Grated zest 1 orange and juice ½
- 6 tbsp golden syrup
- 1 tbsp brandy, plus 1½ tbsp extra
- 6 rounded tsp lemon curd
- 500ml tub fresh custard
You’ll also need…
- 6 x 150ml dariole moulds or ramekins, lightly greased, base-lined with a disc of non-stick baking paper
- Heat the oven to 180°C/160°C fan/ gas 4. In a mixing bowl, beat the butter, sugar, eggs and flour with an electric mixer until combined. Stir in the breadcrumbs and half the zests.
- In a small bowl, mix the remaining zests and all the juice with the golden syrup and 1 tbsp brandy. Put 1 tbsp into each mould (reserve the rest).
- Divide the sponge mixture among the moulds and put 1 tsp lemon curd in the middle of each (the curd will merge into the sponge). Put the moulds on a baking tray and bake for 30 minutes until risen and golden.
- Meanwhile, gently warm the custard and extra 1½ tbsp brandy in a pan. Turn out the puddings onto plates and drizzle over the remaining syrup. Serve with the boozy custard.
Weigh all the ingredients ahead, then mix together just before baking.
Rate & review