Easy banana cake
- March 2007
- Serves 8
- Takes 15 minutes to make, 40-45 minutes to bake, plus cooling
The best thing about this simple banana cake recipe is that you can eat it at any time of day! Try it toasted with plenty of butter for breakfast, brunch or afternoon tea. Or, check out all our banana bread recipes for more ideas.
- 4 tbsp mild olive oil, plus extra for greasing
- 200g self-raising flour
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1 tsp ground mixed spice
- 75g light muscovado sugar
- 4 large ripe bananas
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 4 tbsp low-fat natural yogurt
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp runny honey, for drizzling
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/fan160°C/gas 4. Grease a 1-litre loaf tin and line with baking paper, making sure the paper comes above the tin. In a bowl, mix the flour, bicarbonate of soda, spice and sugar. Set aside.
- Mash up the bananas in another bowl with a fork. Mix with the oil, eggs, yogurt and vanilla extract. Add to the flour mixture and stir until combined. Pour into the tin and bake for 40-45 minutes, until risen and golden. Set aside to cool in the tin.
- Remove from the tin, cut into slices and serve with honey to drizzle over. See our tip for icing below, if liked.
If you’d like to ice the cake, simply mix 200g cream cheese with 3 tablespoons honey. Spread over the cake and decorate with Supercook’s Sugar Flowers (from supermarkets), if you like.
Rate & review