Barbecue-style chicken ‘n’ coleslaw
- August 2008
- Serves 4
- Hands on time 35 mins, 10 mins barbecuing time, plus marinating
This classic American kebab dish is surprisingly low in calories and saturated fat. It has a surprise ingredient, in the form of a can of cola.
- 2.4g (0.7g saturated)
- 28.6g (22.6g sugars)
- 330ml can cola
- 200g passata
- 15g fresh ginger, grated
- 1 large garlic clove, crushed
- 2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tbsp dark soy sauce
- 1½ tbsp cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp light muscovado sugar
- 4 skinless chicken breasts, cut into 3cm chunks
- 2 red peppers, cut into 3cm chunks
- Lime wedges, to serve
For the coleslaw
- 100g fat-free yogurt
- 1 tsp caster sugar
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp cider vinegar
- 1 large carrot, grated
- 100g radishes, coarsely grated
- 4 spring onions, thinly sliced on the diagonal
- 3 celery sticks, thinly sliced on the diagonal
- Soak 12 wooden skewers in water. Meanwhile, put the cola, passata, ginger, garlic, Worcestershire sauce, soy sauce, vinegar and sugar in a large, non-stick saucepan. Bring to the boil and cook for 15-20 minutes, until the sauce has thickened. Season and cool. When cool, add the chicken and coat in the sauce. (If you have time, marinate in the fridge overnight.)
- Meanwhile, for the coleslaw, whisk together the yogurt, sugar, mustard and vinegar in a large bowl. Add the carrot, radishes, spring onions and celery. Mix together and season well.
- Preheat the barbecue or grill to medium. (If you have a charcoal barbecue, light it 30 minutes before you’re ready to cook.)
- Thread the chicken and pepper pieces alternately onto the skewers. Season and barbecue or grill for 10 minutes, turning halfway, until the chicken is cooked through.
- Serve the chicken skewers with the coleslaw and lime wedges to squeeze over.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Subscribe to our magazine
Food lovers, treat yourself this Christmas... Enjoy 12 months of magazines for £29.99 – just £2.50 an issue.Subscribe
Unleash your inner chef
Looking for inspiration? Receive the latest recipes with our newsletter