Brown sugar and chilli chicken wings
- July 2016
- Serves 4-6
- Hands-on time 10 min, barbecuing time 20-25 min (or grilling and oven time 35-46 min), plus marinating
Lightly charred on the grill or barbecue, these sticky, sweet and spicy chicken wings make the perfect hands-on starter that will have happy dinner guests licking their fingers clean.
Or you could try an all-American classic; buffalo chicken wings with celery and a blue cheese dip.
- 9.7g (2.7g saturated)
- 6.6g (6.5g sugars)
- 16 British free-range chicken wings
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 150ml chilli sauce (we used Lingham’s)
- 1 tbsp celery salt
- Finely grated zest 2 limes, juice 1, plus wedges to serve
- Charred sweetcorn cobs and a salad made with iceberg lettuce and blue cheese to serve
- Put the chicken wings in a large non-metallic bowl along with the sugar, chilli sauce, celery salt, lime zest and juice. Mix thoroughly to coat the wings, then cover and set aside to marinate for at least 1 hour or up to 24. (Transfer to the fridge if marinating for 2 hours or more.)
- When ready to cook, light the barbecue or heat the oven to 200°C/ 180°C fan/gas 6. Shake any excess marinade off the wings (discard any leftover marinade), then barbecue for 20-25 minutes, just to the side of the hottest part of the grill, turning occasionally, until sticky and cooked through. (Alternatively, if cooking in the oven, first heat a griddle pan on the hob until hot, then cook the wings, turning, for 5-6 minutes until charred all over. Transfer the wings to a large baking tray double-lined with foil, then finish in the oven for 30-40 minutes until cooked through.)
- Serve immediately with lime wedges and accompaniments.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Barbecue recipes from around the world
Buffalo chicken wings with celery sticks and blue cheese dip
A classic American recipe of spicy chicken wings with a rich and creamy blue cheese...
More food for thought...
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...