Beef and spring onion skewers with sticky rice
- March 2018
- Serves 2
- Hands-on time 20 min, plus marinating
Sweet and sticky beef skewers marinated in an Asian-style dressing and served with Thai sticky rice. This is 20-minute meal perfection.
- 21.2g (5.6g saturated)
- 66.2g (8.6g sugars)
- ¼ bunch fresh coriander, stems chopped, leaves picked
- 1-2 sirloin or rump steaks (about 300g total), cut into 3-4cm chunks
- ½ bunch spring onions
- 1 tbsp toasted sesame oil
- Vegetable oil for brushing
- Sesame seeds to sprinkle
- Cooked rice to serve (we used Waitrose Asian Thai sticky rice)
For the marinade
- 4 tbsp mirin
- 4 tbsp tamari or soy sauce
- 4 tbsp chicken stock or rice wine
- 2 tsp freshly grated ginger or 2 tsp ginger paste
- 1 fat garlic clove, crushed
- 1 tsp frozen chopped jalapeños or ½ tsp chilli flakes
- 2 tsp sugar
- Juice 1 lime
You’ll also need…
- 4 bamboo skewers soaked in warm water (or use metal ones)
- Put all the marinade ingredients and the coriander stems in a glass or ceramic mixing bowl and stir to dissolve the sugar. Add the beef and mix to coat, then set aside for at least 1 hour.
- Cut the spring onions in half, then slice in half lengthways. Brush with the sesame oil and set aside. When ready to cook, heat a ridged griddle pan (or heat the grill to high). Divide the beef among the skewers and nestle spring onions between the chunks (keep the marinade). Brush the meat with vegetable oil and grill/ griddle for 2-3 minutes on each side, turning, until cooked to your liking.
- Meanwhile, put the reserved marinade in a small pan and bubble for 5 minutes over a high heat until reduced and syrupy. Heat the rice according to the pack instructions. Serve the skewers with the sticky rice, drizzled with the reduced marinade and sprinkled with sesame seeds and coriander leaves.
Cover the beef and marinate in the fridge for up to 24 hours.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Devilled chicken skewers
This is a great devilled chicken recipe to spice chicken up; serve with pilau rice...