Beef-dripping oven chips
- August 2013
- Serves 6
- Takes 20 min to make, 30 min to cook
These chips, made from baking potatoes, are a classic family favourite. We’ve used beef-dripping in this tasty recipe.
- 12.9g (6.3g saturated)
- 40.2g (1.4g sugar)
- 1.5kg large baking potatoes, peeled
- 5 tbsp beef dripping (available from Waitrose and Sainsbury’s – or ask your butcher)
- Sea salt flakes
- Preheat the oven to 190°C/fan 170°C/gas 5 and put 2-3 of your largest baking trays in to heat up. Cut the potatoes into uniform batons, about 1cm thick. Spoon the fat into the baking trays and return to the oven for 3-4 minutes until smoking. Remove from the oven and quickly tip in the potatoes, tossing them to coat in the fat, leaving plenty of space around them (don’t overcrowd them or they won’t cook properly).
- Scatter sea salt flakes over the potatoes and cook for 30-35 minutes, swapping the trays around halfway through and turning the chips from time to time so they crisp up evenly. When they are golden, crisp and fluffy, remove from the oven, shake out on kitchen paper and serve, freshly scattered with more sea salt.
We like baking potatoes because their age and size give you long chips with fluffy insides. You don’t have to peel them, but this makes them look more authentic. Make more than you need – they’ll all disappear…
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Maple, parmesan and rosemary sweet potato chips
Sweet potato chips flavoured with maple, rosemary and a generous amount of parmesan make the...
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...