Lamb shanks braised in beer
- March 2010
- Serves 6
- Hands on time 15 minutes plus 3 hours cooking time
Slow cooking lamb makes it melt-in-the-mouth tender, and with this simple recipe, the oven does most of the work – it can also be made in a slow cooker. You can use a pale or golden ale for the beer.
- 23.5g (8.7g saturated)
- 5.8g (4.3g sugar)
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 6 lamb shanks
- 1 large onion, finely sliced
- 1 celery stick, finely chopped
- 1 carrot, finely diced
- 2 garlic cloves, finely sliced
- 500ml bottle pale or golden ale
- 300ml lamb or chicken stock, hot
- 2 bay leaves
- 5 fresh thyme sprigs, leaves stripped
- Knob of unsalted butter
- Handful flatleaf parsley, chopped
- Heat half the oil in a large, heavy-based casserole (with a tight-fitting lid) over a medium heat. Add the lamb shanks and cook to brown all over for a few minutes. Remove from the pan and set aside.
- Heat the remaining oil in the pot and fry the onion, celery, carrot and garlic over a gentle heat for 10 minutes until really soft and beginning to colour. Return the lamb shanks to the pot and pour in the ale and stock. Season well, add the herbs, bring to the boil, then reduce to a simmer, cover with the lid and cook over a low heat for 2½ hours, turning halfway through, until the lamb shanks are meltingly tender.
- Remove the lamb to a warmed serving dish and keep warm under foil. Discard the bay leaves. Bring the sauce to the boil and reduce it by half until it’s nice and glossy.
- Whisk in the butter and return the lamb to the casserole to warm through, if necessary. Sprinkle with the parsley and serve with creamy mash.
To cook this recipe in a slow cooker brown the lamb shanks all over in a little oil and place in the slow cooker. Fry the onion, celery, carrot and garlic for a couple of minutes and add to the slow cooker. Add all the remaining ingredients except for the butter and parsley, season well. cover with the lid and cook on low for 7-8 hours. Whisk the butter into the sauce with the parsely and serve. (you can reduce the sauce in a pan if you like).
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Subscribe to our magazine
Food lovers, treat yourself this Christmas... Enjoy 12 months of magazines for £29.99 – just £2.50 an issue.Subscribe
Unleash your inner chef
Looking for inspiration? Receive the latest recipes with our newsletter